Education Age 16-25

We’ve put together some frequently asked questions when it comes to further education. Have a read through and if there is anything that isn’t covered feel free to get in touch.

When you are over age 16 you must be in education or training up to age 18 unless you are in full time employment. Your options are:

– School 6th form. You can continue at your school or move to another mainstream or special school
– Further Education College
– Apprenticeship: on the job training and study
– Supported Internship: on the job training plus study in a further education setting for age 16-19
– Supported internship age 19-25. You will need an Education, Health and Care plan because you have higher support needs
– Part time paid employment or volunteering with training
– Ready to Work short courses from 6 weeks to 1 year and Level 1 training opportunities

If you have an Education, Health and Care Plan you will need to speak to your local authority case officer.

All Further Education and sixth form colleges, 16-19 academies and independent special schools must not discriminate against anyone with a disability or a learning difficulty. They must also make it possible for you to go there and not be at a big disadvantage to other students.

When you know what college you are going to, the college and your school will share information so that they are aware of what you need. If you have an EHC plan then this will go with you if the plan is still needed and you can expect the same support from the college that you got at school.

If you don’t have an Education Health Care plan, but have been getting extra help from the school the college will also be able to provide this. You will also be able to look around the college and meet with the SEN team.

Special educational support might include:

– Accessible information, like symbol-based materials or tutor powerpoints
– Help with personal care (or access to it)
– Assistive technology, specialist tuition or note-takers
– One-to-one and small group learning support
– Access to therapies
– Housing/independent living and travel training.upport from the college that you got at school.

No, the college must make sure you get the extra help you need. There should be a named person in the college for you to talk to.
The college should involve you in planning your support and keep records about the support given, and your progress. This should be regularly reviewed with you and your family.

If you need more help than an FE college can normally provide, you will need an Education Health and Care needs assessment.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) can be claimed in addition to student finance loans and other grants you might receive. DSAs is dependent on your individual needs and does not take into account any income you or your parents have.

There are some eligibility criteria, see for more details.